Cancer-FREE

Cancer-FREE

Friday, December 3, 2010

The best of the best FISHIES

Gideon's numbers are bottoming out when it comes to his ability to fight infections/germy stuff. The good news: He has been healthy regardless of the gloomy low numbers. When it comes to my germs, it turns out I have a sinus infection. I will continue with my hand washing and mask wearing until it is kicked. Did I mention I'm claustrophobic? I am. I refuse to get panicky, though. Even if this murky mask steams up and makes me feel like I can't take deep breaths. Mind over matter. Mind over matter... Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe. If it keeps Gideon healthy, I'll go into a small box that is locked, if I must. Gulp. I'll admit that I run outside every once in awhile to just breathe air without the mask. Ahhhhhh.

The bad news: We were told we cannot ride "The Polar Express" this weekend. It was a special event for Make-a-Wish kids... complete with hot cocoa and Santa. It's okay. We'll go on a train ride another time. I just am not telling Gideon. He was looking forward to it. We'll make other special memories in our house this weekend, instead. I'll think of something. Christmas time is magical even without the Polar Express.

Speaking of Christmas, I have been getting emails asking if Christmas presents can be sent to the boys. Even people we have never met have sent these emails. I am, once again, misty about the whole idea of strangers loving on us as you have. I have a request, though: Is there any possibility you would be willing to send an alternative gift? There's a story to this:

During Gideon's latest blood transfusion(s), he asked what kind of "good fishies" he was getting pumped into him to fight the cancer sharks. I told him they were from someone else's blood. He asked how they worked, and I told him how very good people go to blood drives, get a shot, and get their good fishies taken out of them since they have enough for themselves and to share with other people, too. Here is the miracle of the story: Gideon looked at me and said, "These are someone else's good fishies? They are giving them to me? From their own blood? I'm getting someone else's blood?" I answered yes to all of these questions. Gideon got very quiet, stared at the bag full of blood and just remained staring for a few seconds. He then said, "These are the best fishies I have ever gotten, then." I asked him why and he answered, "Because someone who has a happy heart got a poke just for me! Wasn't that nice, mommy? These fishies will get those sharks for sure!"

So, here's my request: Please donate blood in Gideon's name this holiday season. Please fill out this fish template or this one with your name, your blood type, the date you donated, and a message for Gideon. Then, send this fishy to Gideon as his Christmas gift. He understands more than any normal 3-year-old the beauty of giving. We will make a fishy line to hang around his room and we'll add each fish as it swims into our mailbox. This is the only gift we'd like you to send, please. I can't think of a better present! Our address: 6685 Pleasantview Drive, Portage, MI 49024.

THANK YOU for all of the love you have been pouring on us.

7 comments:

  1. You amaze me. I will get my whole fam together and we'll give blood together. I hope everyone who reads this does it. I can't wait to see the line of fish. I hope it covers your entire house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M ON IT!!!! EVERYONE: LET'S MAKE THE POSTMASTER DELIVER THESE GOOD FISHIES IN HUGE SACKS LIKE THE ONES IN "MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET" TO THE SCHRIPSEMA'S DOORSTEP!!!! IT'S EASY. IT'S AMAZING. IT'S SELFLESS. YOU'LL FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF. I DON'T KNOW GIDEON OR THE SCHRIPSEMAS, BUT I'M DOING THIS. PLEASE DO IT, TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scheduled my appointment. December 16, 5:15pm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blood Drive at Bronson Methodist Hospital

    Class Date: December 6, 2010
      11:30 AM - 6:30 PM
    Location: Gilmore Center for Health Education
     
    Registration Deadline: December 6, 2010
    Availability: Open
    Invitees: Anyone eligible to give blood. Open to the community.
     
    Description:
    Bronson partners with Michigan Blood to host blood drives at Bronson sites. Donating blood takes only about 45 minutes. Any healthy person aged 17 years or older who weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days. Be sure to bring a photo I.D. with you or two pieces of non-photo I.D. and your donor I.D. card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Registration Info: To schedule a time to donate, visit https://donate.miblood.org. Or, drop in anytime during the drive hours. No pre-registration is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU for that Blood Drive Info, Anonymous!!! And thank you to all of the blood donors out there. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Davenport University Kalamazoo campus is having a blood drive on Monday, March 14 from 1-7 in the student lounge. We will be asking all donators to decorate a fish and afterwards will be sending them your way!

    ReplyDelete