Cancer-FREE

Cancer-FREE

Monday, January 7, 2013

Lots of New...


HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! I am relieved and optimistic with the newest addition of Gideon's most recent doctor: Dr. Enow, a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. My hope is that my sweet boy will have relief by the end of the month, or at least be on a path to a more comfortable stomach/intestinal existence. How I love progress!

Our Christmas Break was peaceful and busy at the same time. I adore that dichotomy, since the “busy” is the part when there is a rush to see as many loved ones as possible. And, peace. Well, that part is an absolute blessing. The best part was snuggling under the warmest blanket with my boys in Grand Marais, and watching the snow fall in feathery puffs, like it is in no hurry to join the earth since this will be its lightest and most free moment it'll ever enjoy on earth. It will take its grand entry slowly, and savor the tumble. That is, until Brody forms it into a massive snowball and rips it towards his brother's face. What is it with snow and the need to use it as a combative facial at the ages of 5 and 7? Someone always ends up crying... I made the shoulder-down rule. Sometimes I can be such a drag of a mommy.

It was our time in the snow, that is for sure. While we were snowy cold in the Upper Peninsula, the boys' daddy was in Mexico with his girlfriend, and proposed to her. While I have not met the boys' future step-mommy yet, I know that both Brody and Gideon possess so much love in their hearts and there is always room for more. It is my hope and prayer that future co-parenting with Tom and his new wife will be like that snowfall: calm, peaceful and gentle. I know it is possible and I believe, believe, believe that as long as every situation is viewed through a Godly lens, and one that focuses on the innocence of Brody and Gideon, that calm will prevail. I bought a book tonight on the subject, and plan to read how to maneuver through these newest waters. I know that she treats my boys well, and I know that she will not face any struggles in loving them (but I am partial)! A wise friend told me, “It shouldn't be called a 'step' parent, it should be called a 'bonus' parent.” Bonus love, bonus memories and bonus happiness is what I want for those precious monsters God has given me the gift of mothering. There is a plan for us all!

Tomorrow is spinal chemo for Gideon at 8 am. He will be sedated early-on, and will receive port chemotherapy. Please pray for a working port, a positive attitude for our boy, a smooth injection with minimal side effects. Gideon will be starting his next round of steroids, too. I am hoping they usher in an appetite!

Thank you for the love, prayers and continued open hearts as you think on Gideon. I am wishing all of you a Happy, happy New Year! So are my boys!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not satisfied with my grammar, not that I perfected it :)

      Delete
  2. I love your positivity. Hold on to that attitude, and how SMART of you to study-up on this new family situation. I think so many people rush into things without slowing down and really reflecting on what is going on around them in entering into this new life. Everyday is a new reflection. You are the most beautiful person I have ever met, and I am CERTAINLY not alone in believing that. You are surrounded by love. You are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to sign up for 2 classes with you as the teacher...subject areas; 1) writing/composition and 2) outlook on life 101. You amaze me. Gideon is in our prayers every night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for directing kind words towards me, but the comment itself could be hurtful to others. Above all, as I said in my post above: I want peace to be the driving force in future interactions with all people involved with raising my boys. Thank you for understanding!
      Amanda

      Delete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are once again with you and Gideon tomorrow and always. I too love your strenght and your outstanding outlook on life. You may be a music teacher, but I would take your outlook on life class in a heartbeat too. Huggs to little Gideon from Nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love, Nana! I need to order another handbag from you soon <3. Love right back to you!!

      Delete
  6. Hope the chemo went well, and that your sweet boy has an appetite again SOONEST! I am so glad you and the boys enjoyed your time in Grand Marais, even though I was practically green with a touch of jealousy, lol!!

    Catching up on the blogs, keeping an eye on Facebook posts, and generally glad that you are so determined to let us all know how things are going. I'm so scattered, the first think I'd probably forget would be updates on social media. Not you, though!!!!

    Sending you and the boys many HUGE cyber-hugs and SMOOCHIES!
    :D
    ~~Aunt Nancy~~

    ReplyDelete