Cancer-FREE

Cancer-FREE

Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Odd Life is a GOOD life

I had no idea "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" would be such a tear-jerker.  Of course, this is a boy who understands the meaning of life.  As he says, "What's the use of having gifts if you can't give them away?"  And every single time the sun would shine, he would stretch his arms out, lift his face to the sky, and smile.  He also understood that our "time with those we love is short."  And so, I bawled for basically the entire movie.  I kept wondering why I brought my boys and I felt like it was just too emotional for them.  But, as we left, Gideon said, "That Timothy has the light.  And he's not gone for good, mommy.  No one that good goes away for good.  They last and last and last."  So, all three of us talked about life and the way we live it.  Now, I can safely say, it was a great idea that we saw that movie.

Why were we watching a movie on a pretty Sunday afternoon?  Little Gideon is in a lot of pain from this round of chemo and steroids.  His legs cramp up, his head hurts, his tummy hurts...everything.  I wanted to do something that would get his mind off of it all.  So, what did I do?  Brought him to see a movie about a glorious little boy whose time on earth is short.  Ugh.  But, I am stopping myself.  It stirred up a lot of talk and love for us.  Remember?  I remember.  And, Gideon is beating his beast!  I know he is.  He doesn't have leaves falling off his legs...like Timothy.  He just has all of that light and then some.


So, Gideon had chemo on Tuesday.  By Thursday, his kindergarden teacher came to me to say that he was too worn out and uncomfortable from it all.  She brought him into my classroom during his recess, and Gideon laid on my beanbags and drifted to sleep.  He hurt too much to eat.  He didn't want to go home, but he wanted to be by me.  I asked Derek, our principal, if it was okay for Gideon to stay on the beanbag while I taught the rest of my classes that day.  He looked at me and said, "Of COURSE it is!  Kids' needs come first here!"  And they do.  Really.  I am blessed to work in a place who understands what matters and why.  I adore our school culture.


Speaking of school culture, Mattawan had a GOLD OUT for Kids' Cancer at Friday night's game.  And we won!  The gold shirts were a success, and I am hoping that will spur on people to sign up to play in the kickball tournament (or donate money).  THANK YOU, Mattawan advocates.  I am ever-so-grateful that so many people get it.

For the rest of our Sunday, we are going to live like it is always fall and we need to make the most out of every sunny moment.  What's the use in having gifts if we can't give them away?  <3 nbsp="nbsp" p="p">


2 comments:

  1. This childs look on life is so amazing, I hope he knows that "he" is a gift to all of us! Thank you once again for sharing your child with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete